Let’s play a game. The game is called “radical environmentalism.” The goal is to create the most parsimonious environmental explanation for a given set of results. Ready?
Create the most parsimonious environmental explanation for the following set of data :
Given the following:
1. The individuals identified as White (Europeans) and African Americans were done so on the basis of corresponding self and interviewer identification. The 116 individuals identified as mixed race individuals were done so on the basis of corresponding self identification and parental self-identification (102) or parental self identification (14). Mean age = 16.
2. The individuals identified as mixed race were judge by the interviewer as looking African-American.
3. The mean differences were uncorrelated or weakly correlated:
4. The SES adjusted IQ means were equivalent to 103.2, 100.7, and 93.3.
5. IQ, sexual proclivity, and birth weight are moderately to highly heritable within populations [1,2].
My attempt below.
 Cherkas, et al., 2004. Genetic Influences on Female Infidelity and Number of Sexual Partners in Humans: A Linkage and Association Study of the Role of the Vasopressin Receptor Gene (AVPR1A). [Heritability of .4 for sexual proclivity in 1st word western nations]
 Magnusa, et al., 2001. Paternal contribution to birth weight. [heritability of .25 for birth weight in 1st world western nations.]
 Rowe, 2002. IQ, birth weight, and number of sexual partners in White, African American, and mixed race adolescents.
Here’s what I came up with:
a) The three way trait difference between African-American/mixed and white kids results from the former picking up patters of behaviors from African-American culture (i.e. 3 patterns of cultural expectations). This explains why the differences are present in the tested population even though SES is controlled for. b) The African Americans cultural patterns result from a life history program that kicks in when individuals live in low SES conditions [ 3]. This explains why the differences exist and are uncorrelated in the tested population (i.e. there are three non-causally related cultural tendencies that result from a SES induced life history program). c) The differences between mixed race individuals and African-American individuals is due to a white parental cultural influence — which again results a different life history program. This explains the difference between African-Americans and Mixed-Americans even though the mixed race differences appeared African-American. d) While the parental-child IQ correlation is explained genetically, the between Black-White racial difference is explained by a) and a number (say 3) of additional cultural+ factors (such as stereotype threat (.2 SD), low motivation (.4 SD), and ?). This explains why cultural differences can cumulatively create an equivalent of 1.3 SD between group differences. (The SD of difference divided by the square root of the between-family environment and IQ correlation at age 16 (~.2) gives the amount of equivalent within group environmental difference, precluding g x e interactions and x- factors, needed to account for the difference; (.6/.45) = 1.3 SD. )
That’s an 8 factor model. See if you can beat that!